Welcome! Introduce Yourself!

What issues are you passionate about resolving? What are your proposed solutions? Engage with the community at large to evolve a plan of action.

Welcome! Introduce Yourself!

Postby ovic » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:11 am

Hi everyone! This is the newly proposed PAOV forum and I hope you like it. Many, many successful websites haved used this style forum and I'm sure it will help PAOV become a thriving community. I'd like to keep this as open and public as possible. With your help we can help give everyone a voice.
ovic
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to phpBB3

Postby nessman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:47 am

Looks like it works fine. Can we skin it to look like the paov.ca site?
nessman

Re: Welcome! Introduce Yourself!

Postby Mysticl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 am

Mysticl here ... aka as Kathy. Hope I haven't been too much of a thorn in your sides. I can't attend your meetings so sometimes I am out of the loop.

Just wanted to say I have thoroughly kicked the tires here and I LOVE it! Looking forward to working with you all. I must say I am impressed.

I came here with an obvious bias but I have been convinced. This is a great board and will serve us very well indeed.
Mysticl

Postby 1Legion1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:51 am

My name is Jason Thompson, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all of the beautiful people!! You can often find me on site at the media centre. Also just wanted to say that our media centre banner is spelled the american way as center not centre, people seem to think its spelled wrong but its not.
1Legion1

Postby Jack Lias » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 am

Hey there. I'm Mike (although I chose the username Jack Lias). I'm a 24 year old resident of Sidney, British Columbia. After I graduated from high school, I took some courses with the hope of becoming a website developer. Having said that, I now find myself trying to find part-time employment.

It's nice to meet you.
Jack Lias

WHY I AM HERE

Postby integrity » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:57 pm

I am here because it offends me to be treated as a second class citizen by greedy landlords/condo owners. I find the downtown business community in general to be greedy, ruthless self-centered people who don't care at all about the rest of us i.e. James Bay ciitizens re Cruiseships, taxis, big buses that cause so much pollution that the community faces huge health risks. The Business Community doesn't push to enforce safety precautions that exist in most other communities re Cruiseships, namely Vancouver as one of many. The Downtown businesses care only about Ca-Ching and most live in OakBay/Uplands.

I am here bec. some Victoria senior citizens are forced to buy dog and cat food as they cannot keep up with inflation and their benefits are meagre after working hard most of their lives and contributing to Pension Plans. I see poor seniors in many communities and they are too proud to divulge to most that they are suffering big time.

I am here bec. of the minimum wage issue and huge debt most students face when they graduate. I am here bec. there 1% are ruthless/greedy and don't give a darn about the rest of us. Some people I know are in the 1% and I observe their attitudes and find it, quite frankly, disgusting. They just don't care in terms of other peoples' poverty and the health issues that poverty cases. I am here because I see how CEO's, Banks, our PM and his gang live off of us - the 99%! They are basically cheapskates with their own money but spend our tax money with great flair - there is no limit to the penthouse suites, the travel to Europe and Laureen is having a ball in other countries living the high life while hubby Stevie glorifies the American way of life!!!! I am here because I know where this country is heading with a BULLY PM at the helm with a Majority Government. I am here because I CARE for others other than myself! Even at the Occupy Victoria space I spoke with people who had no idea whatsoever about what is happening to this country and many of its people. They actually pronounced in my presence that "Hey - this country is still a pretty darn good country. We're not anything like Libya, Egypt, Iran, etc......". They don't get it: NOT EVERYONE LIVES AS THEY DO. And..if you think that way - what are you doing at Occupy Victoria I ask? I have been to Egypt and those other countries these people mentioned to me yesterday at Centennial Sq. and let me say that some people in those countries feel and felt exactly as they do today in Centennial Sq. They, too, felt that all was well in their respective countries when I visited. Know why? They were the people with bucks, with a weekly salary and better yet. They thought everything was just fine too.

I felt discouraged when I left Centennial Sq. following this asinine conversation I had with this ELITIST little group. These comfortable middle class women and a man have no idea what is going on with others. They are parochial and insulated. They have NO PLACE at Centennial Sq. with the Occupy Movement. They DiVIDE - we need to stand up to them and speak out in lieu of colluding with them because they wear silk scarves and have blond locks and nice clothing.
I left feeling ALONE! Thank goodness I spoke to saner and more compassionate heads later in the day. Like myself, they said: "What were they doing at Occupy if they feel that way"?
integrity

Postby RichardRocketClemens » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Highshka' (thank-you and or respect in Coast Salish) My name is Rocket. I am a local and live downtown. I totally support the Occupy Wall St. and the Peoples Assembly of Victoria in theory. I am the 99% and I have a voice!! I acknowledge that I live on and was born on unceeded Lekwungen territory and that the Peoples Assembly is assembling on Songhees Nation I believe. I was born in post-colonial times in 1973 in Saanich into a family of post-settlers, many generations back Canadians and descendents of Europe.
I think first of all that a acknowledgment of the history of this place we call Victoria is a logical place to start when discussing the Peoples Assembly of Victoria and future goals etc. and how these issues that we face today affected their history and their peoples and still does to this day. Education and de-programming, de-colonizing,a critical look at the way society works and what it works toward. How colonization affects locals and how globalization affects locals and local landscapes.
In the Nov.10th "Epoch Times" newspaper, Canadian David Suzuki's "Science Matters" column says quote "Biology dictates our absolute need for clean air, clean water, clean soil, clean energy, and biodiversity for our survival and health." Human rights we all deserve!
RichardRocketClemens

Postby DanCyn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 pm

K !!!!
Hi All
I'm on the outskirts of Sooke, in Otter District, near Camp Bernard & Butler Main if you know the area ....
I am an activist within the 99%, am a proud 60 yr old/young male, getting close to retirement, & am scared of what our democracy looks like. That is why I am here !!!
Example :
My Union President requested that anyone interested in donating to the United Way (which I have always supported) to take a form & fill it out .... Now I really want to help out, but I have not received a pay increase for almost 20 yrs comparative to the the inflation rate, my dollar income is now worth about 60cents of what I got 20 yrs ago, & am pissed off that it is getting harder to support my family, never mind the United Way.
So to my union beurocrats either support my rank & file members with a lower-middle income wage or go try & live on Wall Street with the 1%

Sorry all, got a little off track .... I'll get on track, on my next rant. See you on the next entry.

PAOV is the 99% ... YES!!!!
DanCyn

Postby jdhayes » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am

Hello Everyone:

Carol (my wife) and I are two US citizens recently moved to BC. As such, my ability to engage in #occupy has been gimped by a border. I understand the US and so am willing to engage in debate on those topics, but I can't physically demonstrate since that requires physical presence. On the other hand, I do not understand Canada well enough to have solid opinions on a wide variety of topics so the OccupyVictoria here looks ... well... fragmented, disorganized, and incomprehensible to me. I haven't engaged with the Victoria group up to this point mostly because every time I read anything I was vaguely baffled by the issues being presented and how they connect to #occupy as I know it. Finding this web site has made me change my mind at least enough to read the forums here and get on down to one of the next sessions.

From a personal standpoint, we don't fit the mold of "lazy slackers who need to get a job" that the [US] media portrays. We are a reasonably affluent (read that as wildly wealthy to most of the world) couple who are semi-retired. Honestly, I suspect that I can weather the upcoming storm personally. My interest in #occupy has more to do with social justice than personal need. We are, in American terms, as normal as it gets... white, upper-middle class, yada yada. Neither of us has ever been anything that sounds like an "activist". Both of us are alarmed at where the world is going.

We moving to Esquimalt tomorrow but as soon as the moving dust settles, I look forward to seeing some of you at the next available session.

~Jeff
jdhayes

Postby Shaheer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 am

I'm Shaheer C. Born in south africa 25 years ago and have lived in Canada for 13 years, including Newfoundland, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. I’ve been to many places in the world and think Canadians are the most educated, most free, and most kind people in the world. It’s too bad so many fall for government greenwash. Nonetheless i’m optimistic that Canada can become a hub of democracy and sustainability.

People often claim we can’t change direction fast – that we are like a supertanker - but that is not true. we are more like a flock of birds, and we can change direction in an instant. all we need to do is send each other the right signals. all we need to do is change our minds.

Change your mind. Change your mind and change the world.

My professional training is as an instrument-rated commercial pilot. I was laid off during the recession/olympic interference with my airline, and enrolled at UVIC. I’ve taught others to fly, dispatched/triaged medevacs, and scrubbed toilets. I have hopes, feelings, and desires. I am a human, a citizen, and an organism of earth, just like you. What do I want to do? I want life on earth to persist. Ànd I don't want to be burned up in runaway global warming. Or have to fight World War 3. And the only way that this can possibly be stopped is by each individual accepting responsibility for the world, rather than being a selfish gene.

What is earth? To me, it appears a biological space lifecraft that emerged spontaneously from many billions of years of cosmological evolution. Now, an ape species has appeared and colonized the whole surface and all they do is dig cut and burn. We are now heating the atmosphere, oceans and crust. We are speeding the motion of molecules - speeding up the superficial evolution of earths surface. We are speeding up time - bringing forth the end-time. And so many fundamentalist types (both religious and non) revel in the man-made apocalypse. They deny climate change is occurring yet fail to realize the biblical books describe abrupt climate change...

From a Garden of Eden - the Holocene - we have picked the wrong fruit, and now we are sentenced to hell-fire. A 6 degree world. And what at does this mean for us? Superdesert. The foods gone, unless we develop synthetic factory food. What must we do? Stop moving mass through time. Stop burning. Stop Cutting. Stop Digging. Cool the planet through geoengineering and slow the motion of molecules.

Be like the Buddha. All we need we already have.

When I was flying, I was always a little worried about engine fires and would obsessively check my guages, run procedures, and scout for places I could land....Now, our planet is on fire. And who is flying? I don't know. But it appears to be the same war-monger profiteers that send countless young Germans to their death. The same people that kill other humans. The same people that put profit over protection. The same people that captained the Titanic. This ship is unsinkable. This spaceship indestructible. A few damaged panels won't turn it into a fireball. This magical spaceball will provide infinity for eternity; technology will save us.

earth, friend.
Shaheer

Return to 'Occupy' MOVEMENT DISCUSSION AREA